Sunday, July 6, 2014

Chicken Chukka Recipe

This Chicken Chukka Recipe is one that I happened to come across blog hopping. Mornings are generally spent blog hopping with all the tasty updates that show up on the Fb page. Following one such tempting link got me to Faseela Noushad's yummy blog. Moviing from one page to the other, this chicken chukka had me hooked and I knew I just had to make it and RIGHT NOW!! A recipe that had a small list of ingredients and all available at home I decided to go on. The only difference being Faseela has used boneless chicken in her recipe and I didn't have boneless chicken in the freezer at the time and so went ahead with the chicken pieces that I had at hand. The recipe and the picture sounded too tempting to wait:)


The chicken tasted great and we had it for lunch with curd rice and vegetables and for dinner it made a tasty combination with chapatis. This is a recipe that I will definitely make again, next time I guess it will be in the form of an appetizer with boneless chicken. The chicken with the dark red coloured marinade(with the Kashmiri chilli powder looked really inviting) was amazing, I fried it a little more than what Faseela did and so the change in colour.

Here is the recipe for Chicken Chukka

Ingredients for Chicken Chukka
Chicken - 500 gms (with bone)
Onion - 3 (cut into thin long slices)
Kashmiri chilli powder - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tbsp
Lemon juice - 2 tbsp or the juice of 2 lemons
Oil - 3 to 4 tbsp (I used cooking oil)
Curry leaves - a handful (they really add to the taste and flavour)



Method for making Chicken Chukka
1- Wash and clean the chicken pieces( I wash the chicken pieces like mom does, by keeping it soaked in water with a tbsp of salt and lime juice added to it for 10 minutes. Take out clean thoroughly with fresh water and use).

2- Mix together the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, pepper powder, salt and lime juice. Marinate the chicken in this mixture. The longer you marinate, the tastier it will be. Make sure to keep it marinated for a minimum of one hour. You may decide to marinate it overnight too.

3- Take oil in a pan and fry the onions till golden brown and keep aside.

4-In a pan, add some oil, add the fried onions , the marinated chicken pieces and curry leaves and cook. Cook on medium heat (like Faseela has mentioned, I cooked the chicken in an open pan). Cook till chicken is nicely fried. Add fresh curry leaves when almost done and you have yummy fried chicken that you would love. All the fresh curry leaves gave it a flavour of fried chicken that we make at home Kerala style:). Yumm!!

Do check out Faseela's blog for her other mouthwatering recipes


No comments: