Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 5: Coconut Onion Chutney - a delicious accompaniment


One of my recent posts was instant rava idli that I served with this coconut onion chutney. I had mentioned in the post that you can actually put together this quick and delicious chutney in the time that the idlis get steamed and you are all set for a tasty meal in minutes. So here is the recipe to a coconut chutney recipe that is Mom’s recipe. This is one that is made very often at my in-laws place too and I just love the taste and flavour an onion can add to a simple coconut chutney.

Ingredients:
Coconut- 1 cup (grated, you may also use dessicated coconut instead of fresh coconut)
Onion – 1 (small, cut into long slices)
Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tsp (if you like your chutney real spicy you could add 2 dry red whole chillies instead)
Salt – to taste
For tempering:
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 8 to 10
Oil – 1 tsp
Method:
1-Grind together the coconut, chopped onion and kashmiri chilli powder in your mixer.
2-Take out in a bowl and add salt to taste.
3-In a pan add 1 tsp of oil. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds begin to split, take the pan off the fire. Add in the ground coconut mixture and mix with the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Serve with idlis or dosas of your choice.

14 comments:

Divya Kudua said...

I love coconut chutney with idlis and dosas.Adding onions is a good twist.I often do that too when I am looking for something different from the regular chutney!!

Raks said...

I some times add only one shallot in coconut chutney and love it,will try this way!

Vidhya said...

Idilli and chutney combo is something that I can never say no to.Your chutney look so delicious.

aipi said...

Delicious- one tempting platter you have there!

US Masala

Unknown said...

thanks for visiting my space...u too hav a wonderful space here with such a varied collection of recipes !


http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

Sarah Naveen said...

love the platter..pass me some for my breakfast!!!yumm!!

Tina said...

looks perfect n mouthwatering...

Padhu Sankar said...

Adding onion sounds new .Looks yummy

Sensible Vegetarian said...

First time here. You have a lovely blog and the chutney looks so delicious.

Shobha said...

Lovely idlis and with a delicious chutney....I can eat them anytime ...my all time favourite.

Sutapa said...

First time in your blog and tempting recipes! Coconut onion chutney is just delicious....love it!

ben said...

This is great !! followed your blog looking forward for the next post !!

http://www.travelnlife.com/

Manuela said...

You have a really nice blog... I am following you on Facebook! :-)
Manu from Manu's Menu

Vardhini said...

Nice puffy pani pooris. Thanks for stopping by.

Vardhini
http://vardhiniskitchen.blogspot.com