Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Paneer Burji - an attempt at pleasing my daughter


With Hubby away for a few days, have to play the tough role of the single parent and keeping my daughter entertained. While he is here every weekend is a fun weekend and we make it a point to go somewhere, a long drive, the beach, checking out a restaurant or at least catch up on some good movie (all 3 of us). So it really has been tough for me trying to keep her happy and occupied.

With the scorching heat of Vizag, it is next to impossible to go out on a picnic or any outdoor activity during the day time. So we both have been out this weekend for pizza and ice cream(sitting in the comforts of an air-conditioned restaurant)and have watched a movie together. With such violent and explicit movies being released by the day I really have no option but watch some of the absolute dumbo films that would appeal to my little one. I must admit that too is a great feeling just sharing some wonderful moments with her. With quite a few holidays and a long weekend( the Good Friday weekend, Ambedkar Jayanti and now the elections tomorrow there are plenty of holidays to tackle). We have been both trying to keep each other happy and counting days:) . In fact, this post I guess is more about trying to pour out my guilt on shamming on the cooking front. She has been tolerating my simple cooking and high thinking:) for some days now (poor thing when he is away then she too makes it a point to cooperate with Amma and keep me well-humored).

Have been feeling a little guilty at shamming it out on my cooking for a few days now. So being the paneer freak my daughter is, I decided to make her one of my paneer dishes that she likes very much. She was at it from when it was done with her tooth pick, picking out the bite sized paneer pieces. We enjoyed having this paneer burji with hot phukas(rotis). Have a little left over for today and we are both looking forward to having that for lunch. Ya but surely will make some chicken too and am planning to bake a cake too. Enough of shamming now have to get to making something nice for my little sweetheart.

This paneer burji recipe is one from my quick, easy and delicious lists. After a long day a quick and easy dish that would satisfy your taste buds and make you feel good. If you like Tofu, you can substitute the paneer with tofu here (for the vegans especially).

Ingredients:
Paneer(cottage cheese)/Tofu 200 gms
Onions - 1 (big, sliced thin and small)
Tomato - 1 medium sized(cut into small pieces)
Capsicum/Green Peppers/Shimla Mirch - 1 big (cut into thin strips)
Salt - to taste
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 tsp(I like using it for the low spice and the great color)
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves/Dhania/Cilantro - 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp (optional) (I didn't add garam masala)
Cooking oil - 1 tbsp

Method:
1)Cut the paneer into bite sized cubes and keep aside.
2)Take a saucepan and add in the oil. Now add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and saute till the onions turn color and become soft. Add the tomato and capsicum and saute till they turn soft.
3)Add the turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well. Saute till the oil starts to separate. Add in the paneer cubes and half a glass of water. Mix well. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes. Now open and add half of the choped coriander leaves(cilantro). Let the water dry completely. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.

Accompaniment: Rotis, Butter Naan, Plain Rice

I am sending this Paneer side dish for the WYF-Side dish Event hosted by Simple Indian Food.

13 comments:

Gita Jaishankar said...

Looks very delicious Vandana, this is very new to me from the usual gravies I make with paneer, thanks for sharing this awesome dish :)

Deepa Hari said...

Nice write up and Paneer Burji looks yum Vandana.

Cham said...

I can understand how hard it is to keep entertain if the dad is out of the town for a while. The paneer burji is delicous :)

AnuSriram said...

Delicious Bhurji! Nice recipe!

Dori said...

It looks good and very pleasing indeed :)

Pooja said...

Looking delicious vandana...Yummy post..

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks yum, spicy and droolworthy..

sree said...

looking yummy...looks like u had loads of fun...:)

Ashwini said...

Thank You for visiting my blod and leaving your comments. I make this too..It is easy and delicious. Yumm. Keep visiting.

Varsha Vipins said...

oh..thats looks tasty Vandana..I made a tofu bhurji lately..:)
Do take some drinks to cool of the scorching heat..:)

EC said...

Wow..it looks so delicious..Thanks for the entry

Pria@HC said...

Bhurji is easy and yummy. Ur daughter must have been happy after eating the delicious bhurji.. Ohh. u are lucky to be working from home!! :)

workhard said...

Yummy.. i love paneer in any form....



Haiku poetry