Sunday, February 1, 2009

Marble Cake and end of the baking event

Have had a great time receiving all the entries for the baking for beginners event. Each one of them has made me droll over them and truly inspiring to put on those mittens and get baking. I am sure the round up would be of great help and get many like me waiting like me to actually take the plunge and begin home baking. To bring a sweet ending to the event I decided to give the Zebra Cake at Passionate about Baking a try and was amazed at the results. Firstly, I must admit that I have been just admiring the huge variety of baked dishes and the lovely pics on this blog. The Zebra Cake or Marble cake as I prefer to call it(as I didn't get the Zebra stripes so well but the taste was amazing and the cake disappeared in no time).

I made the cake with half the measure of the ingredients given in the original recipe as I wanted to make it in my rectangle cake tin and the original recipe would turn out too big for my tin.
Ingredients:
Eggs - 2
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Self-raising flour - 1 cup (I used plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
Dark cocoa powder - 4 tbsp

I omitted the salt and used 4 tbsp of drinking chocolate instead of dark cocoa powder. With the drinking chocolate got the dark cocoa color and the taste did appeal to my daughter too.

Method:
I mixed together all the ingredients with a beater in a bowl. Divide it into two halves and to one portion add the cocoa powder and mix till well blended. Pour the cake batter in a pre-greased cake tin in alternate layers. Pour the white mixture in the centre of the tin, then pour on top of it the chocolate mixture. Alternate. The first time I made it in my excitement tried to mix it with a fork to get the stripes. Do not mix the batter it spreads on its own and turns out beautifully.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes in the oven. Take out and cool on a wire rack. They would go well with tea or coffee and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream it is yummy.

18 comments:

Finla said...

Wow that is a beautiful marble cake.

CurryLeaf said...

Beautiful.Nice change with the drinking choc.I too prefer it more than cocoa.Yum.Zebra or no zebra the cake looks fine.Waiting for the round up and also the next event.

Uma said...

lovely cake! so mouth-watering.

Premyscakes said...

sounds quite interesting with drinking choc, looks great.

Archy said...

Wow, cake looks so nice an pluffy !!
you asked me abt Whipping cream.. I used Kraf cool whip topping.. U get this in any American store..

vandana rajesh said...

Thks Archy...will give it a try, don't know if in India it will be available.

sneh said...

Hey! that looks delicious.

Andhra Flavors said...

marble cake sounds quite interesting.

veggie belly said...

Thats a beautiful looking cake!

Sia said...

what a wonderful job done, vandana :)

Pavithra Kodical said...

Mouthwatering and yummy cake..great post..

Divya Kudua said...

Yummy cake Vandana..you said it-Zebra or no Zebra the cake's awesome.My second attempt at the zebra resulted in a marble cake too!!

soma said...

Looks like I missed an event:-(

That cake looks really good. I have never attempted such complicated cakes... just becoz i don't dare to:-)
Soma(www.ecurry.com)

Uj said...

That cake looks really attractive. Even I have made it once. I have Drinking choc with me. will try it that way. Looks delicious :)

Bindiya said...

looks really good, must be yummy!, i too tried out a recipe from deeba's recently, and it came out great!

Yasmeen said...

Looks scrumptious!
Please trail back to my blog for a Token of gratitude

Anonymous said...

Vandana...everytime I peep into your blogspot I get inspired to cook ''something nice'' for husband and son !!
So its going to be marble cake this time. I have done it before..just the way you did...out of excitement I too swirled it around with a fork, so reading your views it actually made me smile !

sanjeeta kk said...

A nice event and a lovely space!

Lite Bite