Thursday, September 16, 2010

Double Horse Easy Palappam Mix

My previous post was all about the Kerala special - "the appam" and how to make it at home. I love making the appam with my own batter, however, moving to Russia had made me a little doubtful about how long I would take to get settled and begin cooking my usual fare. Searching for some instant foods to carry got me to a section where packets of the Double Horse Easy Palappam were peeping out as if telling me "pick me up". Although I had never used the mix before and also don't like the taste of many of the instant mixes and curry pastes, the sheer convenience and ease of use had me tempted. Picked up 2-3 packets and am really glad I did so.

The first few days here had me resorting to some of the instant foods and must say that the Double Horse Easy Palappam mix is a real convenient and delicious option when one is in no mood to cook an elaborate meal:). All one has to do is "Mix 4 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt, 4 – 4 ¼ cup (850ml) lukewarm water and 500g Double horse Easy Palappam Mix in a mixie for 1 minute to make a lump free batter and keep aside. After one hour delicious Palappam can be prepared. (Fermentation period may vary according to the room temperature (25°)). This packet is sufficient for making approximately 35 Easy Palappams ".

Soft and crisp palappams...saving the packets for a day when I wish to have a Kerala breakfast and haven't planned for it in advance:)As for another discovery on good instant foods is the varutharacha coconut paste from Saras group. It is excellent for making the Kerala Kadala curry and varutharacha chicken curry...yummm.

1 comment:

Atheetha said...

This has been a life saver for me too, at times! :D